Elder D Todd Christofferson
It becometh every man who has been warned to warn his neighbour.
Who is my neighbour that I should warn? [The parable of the Good Samaritan].
The motivation for raising the warning voice is love.
It means teaching children the doctrine of Christ.
Jesus was not hesitant to warn.
He devoted time to sinners.
His warnings and commandments were direct.
[Shame culture]. A culture of over sensitivity, over reaction and moral panics.
As watchmen and disciples we cannot be neutral.
Do not abandon those who would welcome truth to flounder and flail in ignorance.
Psalms 40:10 I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation.
Elder Joaquin E Costa
[Story of conversion]
- Once you meet the missionaries please take them seriously.
2. If this is the first time you have attended a Church meeting …do not worry I was clueless too….Remember the feelings you have experienced. They come from God.
3. Reading the Book of Mormon. Moroni 10:4.
4. Repenting. Alma 42:1. [Reading it with his name in it]. We continued reading slowly verse by verse…The book spoke directly to me. ..I had expected to receive revelation without paying the price….Every decision I have made in my life was influenced by that moment…Nothing brings you closer to Jesus Christ than a desire to change.
[A simple but effective and moving talk aimed at investigators}
Elder S Mark Palmer
[Experience as a Mission President. Missionary who didn’t like people. New Testament story of rich young man. Noticed 6 words.] ‘Then Jesus beholding him loved him”
He felt an overwhelming love and compassion for this young man and because of this love he asked even more of him.
How can I be filled with Christ like love so that the missionary can see that in me and want to change.
I prayed for the gift of charity that I might see each missionary as the Lord sees them.
- As we learn to see others as the Lord sees them our love for them will grow. We will never give up.
- No teaching or learning will will ever be done in frustration or anger.
- Love should never be withdrawn when a child, friend or family member fails to live up to our expectations.
- Because He loves us the Lord expects much of us.
Proverbs 3:11-12 My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction:
For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.
Elder Gary E Stevenson
[Story of 9 year old teaching a family home evening] How can the Holy Ghost help you?
[Story of his father telling him not to climb on a rock. Later found rattle snake there. Was warned by the Holy Ghost] see https://www.lds.org/ensign/2016/06/elder-gary-e-stevenson-an-understanding-heart?lang=eng
The Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead.
The Holy Ghost has a spirit body.
The gift of the Holy Ghost comes by the laying on of hands.
[Story of missionaries kept safe in Japan following tsunami and nuclear accident]
The Holy Ghost will help you by warning you.
[The role of the Holy Ghost as Comforter]
The Holy Ghost will help you by comforting you.
The Holy Ghost will help you by testifying to you.
It is vital that we keep the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Stay close to the Spirit and the Spirit will stay close to you.
Elder C Scott Grow
[Addressed to Young Adults]
- For aGod so bloved the cworld, that he dgave his eonly begotten fSon, that whosoever gbelieveth in him should not perish, but have heverlasting ilife.
- And this is alife beternal, that they might cknow thee the only true dGod, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast esent.
[Final testimony of Bruce R McConkie]
Helaman 10:4 aBlessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with bunwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine cown life, but hast sought my dwill, and to keep my commandments.
Through our faith in his atoning sacrifice the Saviour cleanses us.
He can make more of us than we could ever make of ourselves.
[Role model – Elder Neal A Maxwell]
Knowing God is the quest of a lifetime.
God knows you and invites you to know him.
Elder Benjamin De Hoyos
[Would we have followed Christ if we had lived in His day]
One of the great standards of these latter days is this great General Conference.
What has the Lord revealed to President Monson that we need to be doing?
Line upon line and precept upon precept.
[Ways to shine a light]:
1.Observing the sabbath day
2. Serving those on both sides of the veil
3, Teaching in the Saviour’s way
Elder Quentin L Cook
Personal foundations are usually laid slowly.
Malcolm Gladwell – the 10000 hour rule.
10000 hours of practice are required to obtain the mastery to be a world call expert on anything.
Spiritual guidance is received when needed in the Lord’s time and according to his will.
Weekly participation in weekly sacrament meetings has spiritual implications that we do not fully understand.
[Story of the woman with the issue of blood]
The foundations of faith should be the great desire of our heart.
The completion of the Kirtland Temple was foundational for the entire church.
[Story of Parley P Pratt’s disaffection from Joseph Smith] Joseph frankly forgave Parley.
Adversity should not be viewed as either disfavour of the Lord or a withdrawal of his blessings.
D&C 122:7 if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to chedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of dhell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee eexperience, and shall be for thy good.