Here’s a little quiz for you about the miracle of the feeding of the 5000:
1. The story of the feeding of the 5000 is found in 3 of the 4 gospels – True or False?
2. The feeding of the five thousand took place in the desert – True or False?
3. The feeding of the 5000 took place at the time of the Passover – True or False?
4. Jesus fed 5000 people in the feeding of the 5000 – True or False?
5. The people were fed with two loaves and five fishes – True or False?
6. How many baskets of fragments were left at the end?
1. False. This is the only miracle (other than the resurrection) that is recorded in all four Gospels – it must have made an impression and been thought of as important. In fact, it is one of the central episodes in Jesus’ ministry.
2. False See Mark 6:31, John 6:10 (grass), Mark 6:31
3. True – John 6:4. This was significant because the Jews expected their Messiah to come at the time of the Passover.
4. False See Mark 6:44, John 6:10.
5. False See John 6:9. Note that barley was the grain of the poor people.
6. 12 see John 6:13